Saturday, July 27, 2013

Loyal Young Damnling


A short story of desire -

LOYAL YOUNG DAMNLING

I cling to the shadows of the alley. I try so hard to move silently as I creep toward the children. They have what I so deeply desire. Their presence tugs on me like the chains Master often uses when I disobey him. Master tells me I am an appalling Damnling, but I am still young.

My foot hits a can in the alley causing it to careen loudly to the center. I plaster myself against the wall of the house and curse beneath my breath. I can feel the Master’s chains tighten. He always tells me I am too noisy. I must be quieter.

The children are all huddled close together, some bent low over the things they study. This is one of their night's of celebration. I have seen it before. Now, I am only startled when it booms and lights rain in twinkling stars overhead. It used to scare me when I was much younger. Master would growl and throw me out of the mansion to grovel pitifully beneath the bushes in the garden. “You must be brave!” he would demand. “Your cringing appalls me.” “Out of my sight!” His boot is heavy. It hurts.

I am braver now. I am almost to the children. I linger in the safety of the shadows waiting for my opportunity to take what I need. What I desire. What I long for so deeply I shiver at the thought.


It grows late. The explosions and lights overhead begin to slow. I crouch silently waiting for the right moment to lunge. The children start to dissipate. The time to move is approaching. I quiver in excitement. Soon…Soon…

The last two children linger picking up items from the ground. A growl uncontrollably escapes my lips. Master would be so angry if he heard it. I would be severely punished. The children’s heads snap up and they peer into the darkness of the alley, but they do not see. I intently stare at them, as Master does me, in a desire to make them do as I wish. It works and they flee with wild giggles, pushing and shoving one another.

I am left alone. I creep forward into the open darkness. Master would be so displeased. He would be so angry, but I can’t help it. I am only a young Damnling. Loyal, but very young. I reach down and grab the handful of exhausted sparklers the children dropped and shove them into my mouth with glee. They are like candy, sweet as I crunch them nosily - much better than any human blood.

Master doesn’t understand. I don’t think Master was ever young.

4 comments:

  1. I love this piece! It's interesting...unique...and essentially...disturbing!...Excellent!..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Nice turn and very clever use of point of view...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. It was fun to write. I did it for a surprise for @crashplace on Twitter. He does horror, so it was a joke cause I don't usually dabble in that genre.

      Delete