Saturday, December 2, 2017

Author Recap of 2017 and Goals for 2018

It is about this time each year when I begin to reflect on my past year’s accomplishments as an author. I have been a self-published writer for four and a half years as of this month – originally published in May of 2013. A lot has happened in that time. As of this writing, I have twenty-six books in print, in four different genres.

As I have stated in my recaps in the past, I like to set goals for the upcoming year rather than making New Year’s resolutions. Some of these goals I achieve, some I set aside and some roll-over to become renewed goals because they were just so ‘darn good’ in the first place.

Marketing is always a challenge for an indie-author, and I tried many new things this year, which I would like to share. Some worked. Some did not. I try to keep in mind that in 2015 (the most recent year they have stats) Bowker, the folks who issue ISBN numbers, stated there were over 700,000 books self-published. It is hard to stand out in such a huge crowd. Marketing your books is like Dory’s advice in the Pixar film, ‘just keep swimming.’


Let me recap 2017 first. It was a year of accomplishments and great surprises. Let’s take a look at the goals I set and see how I did in reaching them.

1. I have continued to assist other authors in polishing their manuscripts through my Affordable Proofreading & Editing Service, LLC. I helped over a dozen authors this year and some more than once. I am pleased to say I have many repeat customers. I thank them one-and-all for trusting me with their manuscripts. It is an honor to feel I helped bring them to life or at least dressed them in a classy outfit.

2. I joined the Society of Children’s Books Authors and Illustrators last year and fully intended to be an actively participating member this past year, but I am afraid I ended up buried in other projects. This was a goal I did not accomplish. I would like to say I will do better this coming year, but honestly, I am not sure. Working a full-time job, caring for my Dad who was 91 this last August, on top of editing for other authors, and writing and marketing my own work, I don’t know how I will find the time. Perhaps when I retire in five years. I did join the Authors Guild this year and registered several pieces with The Writer’s Guild of America. The reason for this is part of the accomplishment of goal #3.

3. Farloft, my dragon muse, wanted to be a movie star last year after seeing “Pete’s Dragon.” He considers himself the original Northwest Dragon and Elliot, a friend, only an import from Maine. To that end, the following took place:

          a. I had a Farloft presentation box designed and filled it with lovely goodies. I sent it to John Lasseter as a gift. I knew he couldn’t make Farloft a star – Pixar is very clear about only developing from within their own team, but I thought he might enjoy meeting Farloft. He did and I received a very nice letter back, unfortunately, along with the box. His legal department did not allow him to keep it. I did appreciate the note and was sorry he didn’t get to enjoy the Farloft logoed M&Ms while drinking his coffee from a Farloft mug. It was a hoard a dragon would have been proud of.



          b. However, Farloft did receive some attention from a surprising source. In August, I signed a five-year agreement with Choir Boy Productions (CBP) to make James & the Dragon into a film. CBP is new to the production community, but has a very experienced president and leader. Harriet Farmer is dedicated and I am so pleased she believes in Farloft. Animation is an expense endeavor, and takes a lot of time and talent to pull off. CBP is a collaborative community of very talented folks that I think might just be able to do it, and in a way that will make us all proud and eager to buy a ticket. Working on the Farloft movie project is what led me to join Authors Guild, and register The Farloft Chronicles and the first draft script for the production with WGA. Both prudent moves when shopping around manuscripts.



           c. Working with CBP led to a really exciting learning experiences. I researched and wrote a Pitch Bible, a first draft script and a draft sizzle reel. This was all new territory for me, and exciting stuff to work on and see develop.

4. The possibility of a Farloft Movie is what led to a real surprise event in 2017. I now have an agent. This was not a direction I set out to take in 2017, but it has been a delightful outcome. Marisa Corvisiero of Corvisiero Literary Agency and I just seemed to click. I am really looking forward to working with her. It is an honor and a pleasure to be represented by her and her team.

5. This past year was also a year of writing.

          a. I published the final two novellas in the Shifting Books of The Twin Cities Series, Shifting from Darkness into Light and Shifting for Better or Worse. This will not be the end of my adventures in The Realms. These just wraps up the original set of characters in the first five books. I will be delving into this paranormal/fantasy world again soon with another group.



          b. I published the seventh in The Star Traveler Series, The Beast Within. This book was a long time coming, but I think the readers are finding it well worth the wait. 



          c. I still have not finished ‘Farloft – the Youngling Years.' I keep adding stories to it and I am sure it will come to fruition in the future, but for now, it is still a work in progress.

          d. David Stevens and I just finished the last in our In2Minds trilogy. It is out for proofreading. If it doesn’t make it for Christmas sales, it will be up as my first book for 2018. I really enjoyed the way this adventure ended and I hope to write with David again. He is an amazing collaborative partner.



          e. I had the fun of playing in another author’s sandbox this year, too. Cheryl Matthynssens and I wrote “Fallen Tiers” together, the fifth in her Blue Dragon’s Geas series. I love this epic fantasy series and was honored she asked me to assist with it. And I would like to point out too, that the first draft of this book was initially 'inadvertently' released by Amazon instead of the final book. The finished product is up now and I hope you will give it a try.

          f. I didn’t get to the second ‘We 3’ book and I really need to. “We 3” is a #1 Bestseller on Amazon in its category. I believe as my generation grows older the book will find more and more readers who will take it to heart.

6. Once again, turning the books into audio versions fell by the wayside. The expense is more than I can afford. I have thought about doing a Kickstarter program, but honestly, I don’t have the time. I don’t like to do things halfway, so it has not been done. Another one to hold over for 2018 and hope I can get to it.

7. I started sending out a Monthly Newsletter in June. The reception has been very gratifying. It is fun meeting some of my readers. I look forward to chatting with more of them and hearing what they would like to see happen in my writing worlds. If you are interested in my updates, contests and giveaways, click on the link above and sign-up.

8. Social media continues to climb in numbers. Twitter has become active again since the introduction of more characters - lots of chatty folks on the line, which is nice and the whole reason for social media. I have seen a spike in followers on Instagram and Pinterest, as well as my YouTube channel. I completed a gardening video each month this past spring through fall. The garden is sleeping now, just waiting for its debut this coming spring. Visuals are always so much more fun than just the plain written word. I would like to take up podcasting, but unlike the guys who look handsome right out of bed and in their T-shirts, I have to make sure I am visually prepared. I wouldn’t want to give some unsuspecting viewer a heart attack. That is the reason I stay behind the camera and post on SoundCloud instead.

Now for the 2018 Goals:

1. The priority this year is production. I have several works in progress and a few more just in my head rattling around, which I would like to let escape onto the page.

          a. The final volume in the ‘In2Minds’ series will be first out the door in 2018.



          b. Next will be a collection of all five Shifting books in The Twin Cities Series. It is formatted and the cover is ready.



          c. ‘Farloft – The Youngling Years’ and the ‘Star Trader Updates’ books are in rough draft and hopefully will be completed.

          d. The next book set in The Realms is finished. It only needs proofing and a cover made. It is the story of another shape-shifter. He is kidnapped and forced to work for our world’s government in the future. I envision this turning into at least a trilogy and with a flavor resulting in something similar to “Suicide Squad.” I am really looking forward to working on this project.

          e. There will be a new Farloft adventure. I intend to start it in January. Farloft is off on an adventure of his own. He will team up with the descendant of an old friend, a gryphon named Snow. They are going to gather dragons from far-and-wide to help the humans of the Kingdom of Kerth in defeating an old enemy, the Baldars.

Snow by Elizabeth Babicz - WIP


           f. And I have readers clambering for a book on Cleairair, Farloft’s mate. How did she get that curse cast upon her, and who would do such a thing? It’s a long story and one that needs to be told. Perhaps over a nicely roasted elk and a barrel of mead.

2. Affordable Proofreading & Editing Service, LLC will continue to assist authors in polishing their manuscripts, because each of us shines with the success of our fellow indie-authors.

3. I will continue to work with CBP. I look forward to seeing the Farloft movie project develop.

4. I hope to work with my new agent to whatever degree she needs my participation. I have my fingers crossed for success in the traditionally published market, as I have had in the self-publishing field. Other authors do it… Why not me?

It all might seem a bit daunting, but even if I don’t accomplish the full list, I need the goals to keep me focused and my dreams on track.

If you are a reader of mine… Thank you.

If you gave me an opportunity for an interview, or a guest blog post, this past year… Thank you.

It takes a community to promote an indie-author and I belong to one of the best communities on Social Media. Hugs all round, and Best Wishes to all of you for a Healthy and Successful 2018.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure do plan to keep busy, but it all sounds most exciting! I wish you much success and the best possible 2018! (And I can't wait to see my favorite dragon on the big screen!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to always be busy. I think it is because these are projects I can get completed, whereas, caregiving for dad is endless and not something I can really 'fix.'

      Delete