Saturday, September 3, 2016

Life is Good!

It doesn't take a lot to entertain Dad and me. We don't do a lot. He is 90 and his days of camping, picnics and even strolling, are over. He'll walk around the grocery store and then go sit on a bench while I check out.

For entertainment we go to the movies on the weekend and out to lunch or dinner. We are both light eaters, so if we order regular, rather than senior meals, we have leftovers for the next meal and I only have to cook one day of the weekend.

We have 'staycations.' We putter in the garden with little projects or change something in the house that we can see will work better a different way. We don't go on cruises, or fly to exotic places... our budget doesn't allow for such things. We treat ourselves to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, so we always have something to watch. A couple of years back we saved up and bought a big screen TV. So life is good.


However, life got a bit better this past week. Dad turn 90 and we celebrated with a good sized party on Saturday. People came from five different states and Canada. We had barbecue and carrot cake. Folks were spread out all through the house and garden. A good time was had by all.

In addition to the birthday party I figured Dad and I could do with a good rest. I really can't turn off unless I get away from home, its chores and social media. Being an indie author, when I am not at my 8-5:00 job I am on the computer being social and talking about my books when appropriate.

Dad had shingles 7-8 years ago. He still has the pain from it. It sensitized his nerve endings in his back, under his arm, and on his chest. I heard that the 'mineral waters' at Bonneville Hot Springs Resort and Spa had healing qualities and I thought, 'what better place to relax.' They warn against their wifi being 'spotty.' My chance to get away too.

It is only about 35-45 minutes from our house, so for my gift to Dad on his 90th, I took him to the hot springs for two nights. For two nights and three days we 'played' with the rich kids.

We ate out for every meal. I had a massage. We sat in the waters and rented movies off 'pay-per-view.' We sat by the fireplace and read. We relaxed. I didn't touch Twitter. When I came back I was 4,032 behind. No hope of catching up, but frankly, I didn't care.

Life was good, and work, housework and marketing were far from my mind.

Dad and I on the balcony - Selfies are not our forte 

Relaxing with a good read from the selection on hand

Me, my Chai tea and the fireplace. It was raining outside & very cozy in.

The lobby from the 3rd floor balcony where our room was located

Headed down to the spa in the elevator


The courtyard



The essential food shots


Last morning by the fire

The service was excellent and friendly. The place inviting and relaxing. We are thinking seriously of going back up for Thanksgiving dinner this year. We heard they have an excellent buffet.






5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really was. He wants to move in if we win the lottery LOL

      Delete
  2. Wow, I am actually a bit jealous. I am so glad you gave yourself a real break. You have to take care of you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun. We should go sometime and leave the guys to their own devices.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful celebration and your dad looks awesome. My best to both of you, godbless, and here's to celebrating life :D

    ReplyDelete