Sunday, December 27, 2015

Reflection on 2015 and Plans for 2016

It is snowing lightly outside, dad is watching a football game and the fireplace is warming the room. Time to do a bit of reflection on my writing career during 2015.

First let me recap the goals I set for 2015 at the end of 2014 and how they turned out:

My Goals for 2015:


1. The last of the Star Traveler Series (scifi) will get their incredible new covers and be posted on all platforms. Volume #7 will be edited, proofed and released.
a. The Star Traveler Series is up and all 20 of my books are posted on all platforms. I not only posted them to Smashwords, but I also posted them to Google Play and they are all available on CreateSpace print-on-demand if folks want them in paperback form.
b. I didn’t get Volume #7 completed to my satisfaction. The beta readers have made some great suggestions, so it is back to the keyboard and a goal for June of 2016.

2. Write at least one new book in the Shifting group for the Twin Cities series (paranormal) – perhaps two.
a. I wrote “Shifting Places” and published it. I am currently posting another story on my blog which I believe is developing into yet another Shifting book. It is the back-story of Azur the Fire Demon
b. I also intend to write another Shifting book in 2016 which will round out Cody and Simone’s story for the readers. I think they will be very pleased with the way it all ends.

3. There will be the continuing story in the second book of In2Minds (scifi) and perhaps the finish of the trilogy this year.
a. David almost has the narrative for the second In2Minds book finished. He will ship it to me and I will insert dialogue. It will most likely be published mid-2016.

4. Put out a book in the Farloft Chronicles called “Farloft, the Early Years.” (fantasy) This will be a series of three or four novella length books wrapped up in one volume about Farloft’s earlier years traveling as a youngling through the continents of his world – adventures with gryphon, other species of dragons and humans both good and bad.
a. This goal got a bit sidetracked by the writing and publication of “Farloft’s Storybook” and “The Farloft Chronicles – Collection 1 and Farloft Chronicles - Collection 2.”
b. I did a series of table-top shows and reading this past year. I learned a couple of things from them. No. 1 - The middle-school children, which the Farloft Chronicles were originally written for, brought their younger siblings to the reads with them. I had a young man about 5-1/2 year’s old cry because I did not have a book with pictures in it. Hence, the creation of “Farloft’s Storybook.” It is a combination storybook and coloring book with nine short stories. BlueKite-Falls and I collaborated on it. We will split the royalties 50-50. No.2 - Men 25-60 were intimidated by the middle-school trade book formatting of the Farloft Chronicles in paperback. They didn’t want to carry around a ‘kid’s book.’ All the adults who read the Chronicles previously read them on tablets so did not see the formatting. Hence, the ‘adult formatted’ versions of the “Farloft Chronicles – Collections.”
c. I still have plans to do “Farloft, the Early Years.” I have a goal to get it out in 2016.

5. Continue to write on my site TheresaSnyderAuthor.com
a. I have produced four stories on this site the past year. With each running about three months. I post each Saturday and my readership has grown to over 107,000. This is where my ideas develop. A great place to watch me grow as an author. I used to alternate between Scifi and Fantasy. This year I brought in a Paranormal and a Scifi/Fantasy smashup with dragons in space.

6. Continue to seek out opportunities to do interviews and guest blog posts. And add to that library readings and book fairs.
a. I have done a plethora of interviews and guest blogs. I did several podcast and online interviews this past year. You can find them all here on my new site Interviews and Guest Blog Posts. I also did three library readings and four book fairs.

7. Continue with my YouTube channel. There will be more garden tours and DIY projects.
a. The YouTube channel continues to grow slowly. More gardening updates and DIY projects were filmed. I enjoy doing these and have had many say they enjoy watching them.

8. I think an annual Selfie is in order.
a. Farloft will reveal a 2016 Dragon Selfie January 16th. Lots more dragons this year and a ton of fun. You are going to love it. Drop by and chat on the 16th.



Now for a recap of the other interesting developments of 2015:


I have mixed feeling about the table-top shows. I spent a lot of time prepping for them. You can read the process here. However, the outcome was not very satisfying mostly due to weather. The first show, it poured rain. Not just drizzled or rain, but POURED. The second one, the table was in the 102 degrees sun. No tent was allowed. No one wants to hang out in 102 degree weather. And, the third was a poor choice of venue. The last was a Christmas fair and I had delightful results there. It was inside and a buying crowd. However, I even though the sales were low for the first three shows, I did experience a bump in sales online for the three months following the events, so perhaps they appearances were not a total loss.

All this has made me rethink table-top events. I am going to try the Furry shows in 2016 if I can get into one or two. The attendees there come with the idea of taking home souvenirs. They buy t-shirts, sweatshirts, books, art. I think it might be an opportunity for Farloft and Scar to meet some new folks.

I also intend to participate in more holiday fairs. Farloft’s Storybook sold very well there and I think it could do even better next year.

I commissioned a lot of art this past year. I had twelve drawings done for Scar of the Shifting books, and many more of Farloft as well as a Christmas piece for David Steven’s story, “Dragons Save Christmas.”

I created a Media Kit this past year. It is a place to direct anyone who wants information on me for an interview post or blog post. It is all downloadable and user friendly. I have used it to inform the media about my appearances, and though I have not had anyone show up with a camera on their shoulder, I am prepared if they do.

I have done a number of beta reads since joining the social media scene in May 2013. When I beta read, I can’t help but proof and put editorial comments in the margins. I was told it was very helpful, and since I would like to work from home rather than an 8-5 job, I launched Affordable Proofreading & Editing Service this year. I have had great luck so far. I have edited four novels and have a desire to do many, many more. I would like to help indie authors shine. There are so many wonderful books out there that just need a little TLC to move them into the splendid category.

So now my goals for 2016:

1. My goal is to quit my 8-5 in the next two years. In order to do that I need to evaluate where I am and what I need to do to accomplish that goal.

2. I have been tracking the hits on my site and I have learned how to guide folks there, but they are not staying. I believe it is the problem of the site. It is basically a blog that has grown over the years. It needs a new fresh look and a user-friendly tap-to-buy format. I intend to bite the bullet and get it built by a professional when I get my taxes back in March.

3. I intend to push the Affordable Proofreading & Editing Service. I strongly believe in the value of another set of eyes. My work is not perfect because “I see what I thought I wrote,” not what I really wrote. We all need help. I hope to be there for the newbies coming up through the ranks.

4. I am going to add Counseling to my Affordable site. I have been told I know my way around social media, so I will pass on that knowledge in classes of 5-10 folks at a time, online. Everything a first-time published author needs to know, contacts and shortcuts.

5. I hope to produce several books, “Farloft – The Early Years,” (a group of Farloft short stories), “Shifting from Darkness into Light,” (the fourth in the Shifting series where we will see if Simone and Scar can overcome their differences), “The Beast Within” (Vol 7 of the Star Travelers), “The Star Trader Updates,” (a series with a kickass girl in it who trades everything from art and jewels to critters and AIs throughout the known universe) and the second “In2Minds” novella.

6. I will attend more shows and continue to seek out places to do readings.

7. Funds permitting, I would like to put more books into audio form this year. Farloft's first two are doing well and I think the others in that series and the Shifting books would work well. I also have a dream of reading "We3" myself, since it is from my point of view.

8. I will continue to make friends on Twitter and Facebook, join in on blog posts and interviews, and continue to spread the word about my books and my editing site.

And to wrap it all up, I would like to thank all the lovely folks who were inspired by my books and drew something for me. You are all the best in the world. There is nothing quite as exciting as having a piece of fan art show up on my twitter feed or in my mail box. I have a wall in my office dedicated to you all.

I wish you all a prosperous and fulfilling 2016. Good luck to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment